The Scottish Cup


Round 2, 4/1/92, Stenhousemuir 1 Caledonian 4

Caley celebrated New Year with a resounding victory and a place in the 3rd round draw with the "big boys". Strangely, the pre-match comments of Warriors manager Dennis Lawson implied that Caley would relish the "kick and rush" in the heavy going after the recent bad weather, while admitting that his side would have their backs to the wall. Dennis had obviously never seen Caley play, but he was certainly right on one count- Stenny were on the ropes for most of the game. However Caley went in at half time a goal behind, having lost Danny MacDonald in 18 minutes with a serious injury, but having totally dominated the half.

The crowd was a healthy 1500, a welcome boost to the Warriors, bottom of the league, who were used to 3-400 most weeks. Some Caley fans had exploited the ignorance of a local bookie, who offered 11-4 against Caley, while in Inverness they had been offered only 7-4. A quick whip round on the supporters bus raised £200 to back the Caley.

Their judgement was vindicated within 5 minutes of the second half when Alan Hercher fired the Blues level after a great run and cross by Wilson Robertson. Soon after, Urquhart shot home for 2-1 and Christie beat the offside trap to slip the ball past the keeper for the third.

Ochilview at kick-off (David Wilson)
By this time Warriors centre-half Stevie Prior was growing tired of Charlie running rings round him and was sent off for flooring him with a wild kick. Sub Ian Polworth wrapped it up with a tap-in right on the whistle.

Round 3, 25/1/92, Caledonian 3 Clyde 1

A much tougher assignment for Caley as Clyde were at the opposite end of div.2 from their previous opponents, and started brightly as Caley spent the early part of the game adjusting to the pace. Caley then began to look dangerous and created a few chances, before taking the lead through Charlie Christie in 35 minutes.

However this lead was cancelled out within four minutes when Stevie Morrison rifled a 25-yarder past Mark McRitchie for 1-1 at the break, with the game already running 18 mins late to let in the crowd of 3543.

Caley struggled to maintain control against a large and physical midfield in the second half, and Clyde left McGarvey up front on his own, happy to settle for a replay.

Just as Caley legs appeared to be tiring, a free kick from Mike Andrew was floated into the box (68 mins) and the Howden End erupted as Billy Urquhart nodded it home (left).

Seven minutes later it was all over as Alan Hercher made it 3-1 from a Christie corner on the left.

Clyde manager and ex Lisbon Lion John Clark's complacency in not having Caley watched was soon to contribute to his dismissal as manager, and some Clyde fans staged a pitch invasion at the end.

However, on the day, he could not accept defeat with grace, but heaped the blame on the goalkeeper, Hugh Stevenson, who had "sold the jerseys".

Clark continued to mispronounce the name of his opponents, who had used his patronising comments upon hearing the draw to motivate themselves.

Left- The game is almost won as Wilson Robertson is replaced by "supersub" Ian Polworth.

Above- Herchie supports Charlie in midfield as Tennant moves in.

First goal-Charlie Christie

Second goal-Billy Urquhart

Third goal-Alan Hercher

Round 4, 15/2/92, Caledonian 2 St.Johnstone 2

The day after the Clyde match the whole town was buzzing as Caley came out of the hat along with Premier Division opposition, and some improvements were made to allow Telford Street park to hold an all-ticket crowd of 5500, as this was Caley's biggest fixture since the Taylor report.

Left- Charlie Christie takes on Paul Cherry.

Centre- Queue for tickets at the Caley Club in Greig St.

Right- Martin Lisle tussles with Tommy Turner.

On a day of heavy rain in which the pitch quickly became a mudbath, Saints took the game to Caley, hoping to kill them off with a quick goal, but McRitchie defied them time after time, while Caley always looked dangerous on the few occasions when they could get into the last third. However Alan Moore made the breakthrough for Saints just before the break, then scored again early in the second half. Saints scorned a few chances and hit the bar as the Caley players appeared dead on their feet against their full-time opponents. With 15 minutes to go, Urquhart and Mitchell departed, replaced by MacDonald and Polworth. Within a minute, Caley had a spot-kick as Lisle was fouled in the box. Up stepped Alan Hercher to stroke the ball past Lindsay Hamilton in the Saints' goal. First goal- Alan Hercher
At least Caley's famous fighting pride had given us a consolation goal. But with eight minutes left, Charlie Christie turned Paul Deas inside out and crossed for Polworth to bullet a header inside the near post. Caley were level, amidst jubilation in the Howden end. The Saints fans in the open at the other end were not only soaked, they were going 100 miles back down the A9 without a win. A Highland League side had pulled off a result against a Premier League club for the first time ever.
Telford Street Park goes ballistic. Ian Polworth (12) sets off on the worst goal celebration of all time. Danny MacDonald (14) punches the air and Martin Lisle leaps for joy. Lindsay Hamilton glares at his defence. Caley have given a Premier Division side two goals of a start and come back to force a replay.

Download this goal

Round 4 replay, 26/2/92, St.Johnstone 3 Caledonian 0

An estimated 4000 fans came down for the replay, which prompted the Caley fanzine headline "Inside this month- 3500 fans go missing on A9- LSM investigates", a reference to the Scottish Cup "glory-hunters" who failed to turn up for the next game in the Highland League.

Half an hour before kick-off, the away end, seating 1800, was full, so the overspill started to take over the home areas- they were all wearing blue scarves anyway. The Saints' regulars strolled up with 10 minutes to go and found the stadium almost full. People were still entering well into the first half, and the crowd was given as 9693, though some were reportedly locked out.

As in the first match, Mark McRitchie was a busy man in the first half, as Moore repeatedly burst through on the right with McAllister floundering in his wake. When the goal came in 23 minutes, however, it was from the opposite side, as Moore supplied a ball from the left which was powered home first timeby Gary McGinnis from 25 yards. Caley were not out of it and made good use of the small amount of possession they had, relishing the excellent surface. Charlie Christie had a reasonable penalty claim, and the half finished with Caley having the upper hand.

Another excellent spell followed, but Paul Wright supplied another blow after 10 minutes, against the run of play, swivelling in the box to sweep home the second. Wright completed the scoring in 68 with a header from a Moore cross.

The Caley support behind Hamilton's goal were on their feet when a header from Alan Hercher came back off the post, following some great skills by Colin Mitchell Herchie hits the post. Eight minutes later referee Bill Crombie's whistle brought Caley's last ever Scottish Cup tie to an end.

Above- Billy Urquhart (9) jousts with Gary McGinnis.

Above right- Charlie Christie is tackled by John Inglis.

Last update 18/7/09